Pages

counting to 40

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

If you're like me and you didn't grow up with Lent being a tradition in your family, then maybe you have a hard time being convinced of observing it now. I was always felt like I was "off the hook" for giving something up when everyone else seemed to be making sacrifices.

Well, we get older, and wiser {I hope} and begin to wonder what the big deal is with this Lent thing. After reading up a bit on the tradition and history of it all, it started to intrigue me. And I wanted to be part of the club.



This next forty days until Easter is a time of reflection, repentance, and a remembrance of the One who came to wipe sin away. Clean the slate. I don't know about you, but I definitely need a time like this. I need time to examine my own life, what I'm doing, my choices, my passions, my struggles...everything. And surrender.

Our sacrifices during this time are a way to remember the one to which we surrender. The Provider, the Sustainer, the Redeemer. Greater than all our sin, greater than our struggle and our need to justify ourselves with worthless stuff that doesn't last. To give something up is a brilliant way to see God move into that empty spot you just made and delight you with His presence.

I love the idea of doing this as a community - with your family, your close friends, your church, your spouse. We were created to be with others and encourage one another in the faith. What a great time to start.

This season I'm giving up complaining. And yes, I've already failed miserably at this which is totally the point because it reminds me of how imperfect I am, how terribly human it is of me to make mistakes and be negative about my life that's pretty darn great right now. So here goes...forty days of recognizing the Debby Downer in me and making an effort to stop it. 

What are your thoughts on Lent? Are you giving anything up this season?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read and appreciate every single one.

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground